Thursday, November 21, 2013

Life + Train = Lifetrain?

Well life seems to have it's ups and downs in time. Lules and rushes. To this very second(about 1 minutes after I open this back up again) I don't know why I am writing here, since it seems like I have kind of given up on my blog. My wife kind of knows what I do everyday even if I do leave some of the more graphic details out of it. I continue to tease her everyday so that hasn't changed. Most of what I do on here was that. But it might be that right now I'm bored waiting for my proctor to get here, or it could be that I don't really explain much about my life. I might also be that a 3 month lapse was enough to make it so I could come back refreshed(ish). I'm almost done my 5th semester of medical school now. Currenly on my 5th rotation, 6th if you count my study time at home. Radiology is my new rotation which is quite a bit different than my last ones. In many ways it seems. Radiology is different than most other specialties in general. Sitting in dark offices looking at CT scans, MRIs, XR films, US, or Mammograms. However the differences don't just stop there. As a student in a busy office here, the doctor doesn't have time to stop and explain every little detail to me, show me exactly where he is looking and what he is looking for. In fact this particular doctor manages not only all the radiography of Astoria, but 2 other practices in Louisiana, and a New Orleans parish prison's radio graphs. So the hours are long, starting early and ending late. In addition I'll be coming in on the weekends with the doctor for anything that comes during those days. Instead of learning all the nuances of radiography, instead when interesting and different diagnosis come in I look them up, refresh myself on them and come up with a ddx, or try to at least. I study up on what would be the most advantageous model of radiography to ask for each clinical diagnosis. We do some interventional radiology as well such as barium swallows, epidural steroid injections, abscess drainage etc. Well those are what we've done so far, we might be doing some bone aspiration in a week or two as well. Anyway radiology is definitely off my list of what I might want to specialize in, although I hope that this month will be learnative for me. Even if I'm not interested in a specialty there is always learning for when I go to practice I can understand the science/art of medicine better than if I just focused on my individual practice with no outside understanding. Thanksgiving time is almost upon us, and we won't be going to the family trip this year. Well I guess Kristen could but somehow I don't see camping as her preferred choice of how to celebrate Thanksgiving. Especially with my family. Not that she hates us of course, she loves my family of course. But love comes in small doses (apparently she doesn't understand that tickling and light forms of physical torture equate to love {love you babe}). So what we'll do for Thanksgiving I don't know yet. I don't even think Kristen knows. Since she's pregnant I don't think that long term planning is really a forte of hers right now. She has become an expert at nap taking though. Although to be honest she is up when I get home these days. Although that could be because I am getting home 7-8 at night instead of 4-5 and so her 4 hour nap is done by the time I get home. I have also been told to make a better effort to leave anything marriage related out of this blog, and by marriage related anything she wouldn't want her family to know about especially with a 8 yo sister. So not marriage as in "marriage" but marriage as in MARRIAGE... hint hint nudge nudge sort of thing. I don't really know where the line is drawn since what I think is appropriate and what Kristen thinks is appropriate is obviously separated by a wide gulf. In fact I did have a funny story about what my wife watched the other night... but I cannot write it sadly. Anyway. So for Christmas I have Sarah and my brother-in-law Aaron who just got off his mission and is engaged to his soon-to-be wife in January I believe. I have been told to keep all presents PG or nicer(since when have I ever done anything else). Funny thing is that we had Aaron for last Christmas as well, not that it matters of course. Still can't believe I have to keep this blog PG just in case someone reads this(not that they will, but have to keep up appearences). As usual not much to go on, so I'll look around and figure out something they would enjoy having from the heart... usually weird things that no one ever knows about but are like... that's totally awesome afterwards. Getting kind of exhausted at my radiology rotation so I'm going to end this I guess. After 12 hours I don't know what to say anymore I lost my train of thought so rather than try to get it back. I'll gracefully exit

2 comments:

  1. You write because no one can describe life as eloquently as you can/do.

    Besides, those of us who not skilled in having a phone conversation need these sneak peaks into your daily world.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm still a little confused as to why you titled your entry the way you did. Any hints?

    ReplyDelete